Saturday 8 August 2009

Rod Stewart living the good life


Artistically lazy is the critical stone that’s been slung at Rod Stewart repeatedly since the mid-1970s.
Any one who heard the British rock star’s early solo albums, his not mention to this albums groundbreaking work with The Jeff Beck Group and Faces, knows full well how superb the soulful, raspy-piped Stewart can be when he’s at his best.
But since the mind 70s, with old exceptional moment, someone critics would tell that you’re the Rock and Roll Hall has not been best that he’s half-heartedly drifted from one album to the next, shifting styles as it suited the marketplace. Indeed, Stewart’s been a folky, a blues rocker, a disco artist, a champion of adult contemporary soft rock and, most recently, a singer of easy listening jazz standards.
I don’t thing that I am famous on current trends, ‘Stewart says over the phone as he promotes his latest tour, which will focus on his rock and roll hits.
“I established a quite true love music all of them and I am gifted in so much as I can do. The Great American Songbook, I can do Hot Legs, I can do what I want. I’ve been gifted with a voice.”
“I’m not setting out to make better versions all of them than what [the soul legends] have recorded,” he says. “Just Rod Stewart versions. Simple as that.”
Rod Stewart is not only to challenge himself artistically and the writer of such classic songs as Maggie May and Stay With Me admits as much when asked why he hasn’t recorded a s ong of his own in over a decade.
“I’ve always found it really hard work writing songs, although I think I was pretty good at it when it was finished,” Stewart says. “Being a bit of a lazy sod as I am, I didn’t find it easy. After American Songbook came out, I’ve glad doing these concept albums. That’s not to say I won’t put pen to paper again. Before I’m on the wrong side of the grass, I definitely will.”

No comments:

Post a Comment